The Asian Film Awards Academy’s Young Film Professionals Overseas Training Program is open for applications until August 19, 2022. The selected professionals will work at Thai studio White Light Post for three-month at the studio’s colour grading department. * Applicants must be Hong Kong Permanent Resident*
With the support of Create Hong Kong and the Hong Kong Film Development Fund of the Hong Kong SAR Government, the Asian Film Awards Academy partners with Thai studio White Light Post to offer two three-month work placements at the studio’s colour grading department.
The program aims to nurture young film talents and mid-career film professionals in Hong Kong through offering overseas training opportunities and short-term work placements. Participants can enhance their skills, develop professional relationships and exchange ideas with overseas film experts so as to reach the next level in their careers.
In our previous collaborations with the White Light Post, participants were given the opportunity to familiarise themselves with post-production equipment and get involved in tasks such as subtitle spotting and footage research. Participants were satisfied with the training program, where they found the program is useful for enhancing their knowledge in the field and broadening their scope about the industry.
– Hong Kong Permanent Resident with a passion for film.
– A good command of spoken in English is a must.
– Applicant must have a strong interest in the culture, society and other aspects of Thailand is an advantage.
– Applicant must have been engaged in film postproduction profession in digital cinema color grading or other film related work experience for at least one year, and demonstrate a strong commitment to the sector, or Graduate Film Students in film visualization area.
– Basic work experience as Digital Image Technicians (On Set Lab Work: digital rushes grading, data handling on set) is an advantage.
– Applicant must have basic knowledge of color pipeline/color space/color grading workflow.
– Applicant must have have basic knowledge of camera recording formats, aspect ratio, recording codecs (RED, Arri Alexa, etc.).
– Must be familiar with DIT Workflow, Dailies Workflow and Metadata handling is an advantage.
– Possesses basic understanding of Color Grading (DaVinci Resolve/Baselight), Archiving (LTO, DCDM), Screening (DCP, camera material, QTs etc., VFX), Deliveries (Filebased, XDCam) or Conforming/Titel/VFX is an advantage, Subtitli ng (aware industry standards).
– Must have have good knowledge in recent trends in cinematic color grading. Relevant education background is beneficial.
– Must demonstrate a strong desire to bring your career up to a new level in the film industry and have to state clearly your professional skills and strengths and what you intend to achieve in the work placement period in Thailand in his/her personal statement.
– Must be comfortable with working in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
– Applicant must submit three FULL sets of hard copies of completed applications with all specified supporting documents by the deadline. Incomplete applications will not be considered; and successful applicants must be responsible for their own tax, insurance and quarantine hotel, including fees incurred.
(Note: All travellers need a passport valid for at least six months following your departure dates from Hong Kong. Special visas will need to be applied by the applicant by case)
– Working Hours: Monday to Friday, 8 hours per day (with optional overtime and weekend work, but highly recommended from time to time to keep up with the project).
– Workshop: 1 day Thailand Language Class each week to help you study and work in Thailand.
– Will be assigned tasks of different projects based on the successful applicant’s strengths.
– Submission of three (3) full set of hard copies of the application by mail or in person by the deadline.
– Every application must comprise of the following documentation:
Copy of HKID proving Hong Kong Permanent Resident status.
Completed Application Form.
Curriculum vitae on your past project and your respective roles in these projects.
Personal Statement (no more than 600 words in English) explaining, Why you are applying to the YFPOTP, Why this is the right time, The relevance of your skill, knowledge and experience to the YFPOTP, what you intent to achieve during the placement period, how to joining the YFPOTP would help you on your career and long-term aspirations, how your participation in YFPOTP can contribute to Hong Kong’s film industry and culture.
– Supporting materials of your academic and professional achievements, e.g. copies of your academic transcripts and professional certificates.
– One sealed professional reference letter (optional)
– Sealed academic refence letters(s) (optional)
-A one-minute demo reel of your work by one USB.
*Applications must be submitted to the AFAA office at Unit D2, 4/F, Freder Centre, 68 Sung Wong Toi Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong by Hong Kong time 6pm on 19 August 2022 (Office hours: Monday to Friday, Hong Kong time 10am to 6pm). Please mark “AFAA – YFPOTP (White Light Post)” on the envelope. Applications submitted by mail must be postmarked on or before the above-mentioned deadline. AFAA will not accept any applications sent by fax or e-mail. Under no circumstances will late applications be considered.
Application Deadline – August 19, 2022 (6 pm HKT)
Interview with Hong Kong Film Professionals – September 22, 2022
Online Interview with Thailand Professionals – September 22, 2022
Announcement of Successful Applicant – September 22 to October 22, 2022
Go to Bangkok and start to work – November 22, 2022 to January 23, 2023
We recommend applicants to read the Application Guidelines: Application Guidelines
To download the Application Form please go here: Application
Please contact AFA for any questions:
Tel: +852 3195 060seven
About the Young Film Professionals Program:
With the objective to nurture young film talents and mid-career film professionals in Hong Kong through offering overseas training opportunities and short-term work placements, Young Film Professionals Program has been organized by the Asian Films Awards Academy and its partners since 2016. Participants can enhance their skills, develop professional relationships and exchange ideas with overseas film experts.
About White Light Post:
White Light Post was founded in 2010, and is well equipped with an excellent team and mature competence. Their projects range from commercials and TV dramas to local and international short and feature films. Outstanding works include award-winning Pop Aye & Call Me By Your Name, and One for the Road directed by Nattawut Poonpiriya and produced by Wong Kar Wai, Leading Thai filmmaker Apichatpong Weerasethakul’s Memoria, and Edmund Yeo’s Moonlight Shadow.
Categories: Call for Entry
Leave a Reply