The International Documentary Forum “TokyoDocs” is accepting documentary projects in Pre-Production stage, until July 14th, 2021. *Only for Asian Filmmakers or Docs focused on Asian countries*
About the Tokyo Docs:
Tokyo Docs gave its first launch in 2011 as an international co-production forum that introduces exceptional documentary projects to the world. Tokyo Docs 2020 will be its 10th conference. It is now widely known among filmmakers in Japan as well as international documentary professionals and enjoys heightening recognition as an event that attracts high-quality project proposals.
Scope of Entries:
Accepts proposals for new documentaries aiming for international co-production. As a basic rule, proposed projects should be at a pre-production stage. Still, it is also possible to submit projects that combine new material with footage already broadcasted domestically in the filmmakers’ own country or a rework of such films. * Entries consisting of completed films or the sale of format rights will not be accepted.
Entries of one-off films or series on any valid topic are accepted, including current affairs, social issues, history, natural science, and travelogue. However, travelogues for tourism promotion are not submitted.
– Applicants must be a filmmaker belonging to a production company or an independent filmmaker.
– In principle, these filmmakers need to reside in Asia, including Japan, or propose projects related to Asia, including Japan.
– Independent filmmakers need to attach their past work history and a letter of recommendation.
– In principle, filmmakers belonging to broadcasting stations should apply in cooperation with their production companies.
– To submit your project, fill out the online application form with required details released by the end of May on the website.
– Applications by email or post will not be accepted.
– Entries without all of the necessary information, entries exceeding the word count, and entries without the required photographic data will also not be accepted.
– Please submit your entry in Japanese, English, or both Japanese and English.
Required Information and Photographic Date: Please check the link below.
Deadline: July 14th, 2021 (13:59 Japan Time)
The Selection Committee will choose the proposed projects. The committee comprises members of the Tokyo Docs Organizing Committee after they confer with overseas producers. The most important criterion is “a high-quality documentary that deserves international distribution.” Selectors will also consider whether the documentary is “a project appropriate for realization through international co-production.”
The selection committee will assess the projects based on the selection criteria below. The number of projects selected is as shown below, and successful applicants will be informed by the end of August. Main pitch project: About 20 projects (including about 4 projects submitted from outside Japan) – Colors of Asia Project: About 6
The selected filmmakers will be requested to create a “pitch video” before the event. A “pitch video” is a 7-8 minute video consisting of a 3-minute trailer with a preamble and postamble. After the selection process, you will work with your Tokyo Docs tutor to refine the content of your video.
Notification Date: End of August, 2021
Fees: There is no application or registration fees.
To read more about the Rules & Regulations and fill the Entry Form please follow the next link: https://tokyodocs.jp/en/how-to-apply
We remind readers that the 11th Tokyo Docs will take place online from November 1st – 15th, 2021 in Tokyo, Japan.
To see other Call for Entries/Projects please go to our section “Call for Entries”.
Categories: Call for Entry
Leave a Reply